Turning Lives Around - Beacon Leeds
Turning Lives Around is the lead partner in a city-wide initiative across Leeds that helps vulnerable young people with multiple and complex needs who are homeless. Beacon is delivered by a consortium including Foundation and Touchstone and was launched last year.
The strength of the consortium is that each of the three key partners brings specific and unique skills with experience that enable us to intervene to prevent homelessness for single people, couples and young families at risk whatever their ethnic origin or sexual orientation.
The partnership approach of Beacon ensures the optimum service for our clients, who are referred to us when at their most vulnerable.
Turning Lives Around's track record of preventing homelessness among the most marginalised in society in Leeds complements Foundation’s experience of working with former offenders plus their existing tenancy ready package Fit Kit. Touchstone add experience in BAME, mental health and the track record of running successful volunteer and peer involvement programs.
Beacon's intensive support includes tenancy training along with a range of services tailored to clients’ individual needs including:
- self-care, health and wellbeing
- budgetary and financial advice
- peer mentoring
- access to volunteering and educational opportunities
- recovery support, including harm reduction and joint work with drug and alcohol agencies
- managing statutory orders and risk.
The team provides support and accommodation across Leeds, via a range of accommodation in the community, plus Intensive Support Environments (ISE’s). The ISE’s provide on-site support and management, in a hostel environment round the clock.
Beacon can accommodate 234 people at any one time and with a maximum length of stay between six and 10 months, it supports around 600 people each year to move into independent living.
Beacon works closely with other support organisations such as Forward Leeds and Engage.
Qualification criteria for Beacon:
- You are aged 16 plus with a local connection to Leeds, i.e. resident, family live in Leeds, you have or still do work in Leeds
- You are willing to take part in Beacon support planned pro access and possess sufficient skills to maintain and tenancy with the support provided
- You need supported accommodation to live independently, addressing complex and multiple needs
- You need accommodation for safeguarding reasons
- You have limited accommodation choices e.g. you are un suitable for private rented sector housing or the council lettings scheme due to high support and/or risk issues
- You need accommodation because you are leaving institutions e.g. prison, hospital etc.
Referrals and enquiries can be made via the two Beacon Pathway Managers:
Mia Cameron: 0113 378 9396
Clare Sanderson: 0113 378 9397
Referrals or enquiries can also be made via: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secure address: email@example.com