Turning Lives Around – Our Way Leeds
TURNING Lives Around has joined forces with GIPSIL, Foundation and Vision to launch Our Way Leeds (OWL), a brand new service for the city’s young people who are at risk of homelessness or in need of support.
Aimed at 16-25-year-olds, the team at OWL works to prevent homelessness, helping young people explore job, apprenticeships or education opportunities, deal with stress, and anxiety and encourages them to get involved in areas that interest them such as sport, music or drama.
TLA’s Seacole project is part of OWL, giving homeless and vulnerable young people emergency access to accommodation. The project has nine emergency bedrooms providing short term accommodation for up to six weeks plus three short hold tenancies enabling a longer stay. TLA OWL also provides supported tenancies in the community and floating support to young people living independently in their own homes.
This accommodation comes with support from experienced keyworkers tailored to the young person’s personal strengths and needs. It aims to enable them to understand the responsibilities and try independent living as well as equipping them to be able to secure and sustain their own longer term tenancy with our continued support if needed.
Working with our OWL partners, we provide advice and support around addressing issues such as substance misuse, Child Sexual Exploitation, domestic abuse, mental health or family relationships as well as looking to the future with help to access education, training or work opportunities.
Turning Lives Around OWL services include:
- Pre-tenancy support – support required to securing a tenancy
- Supported housing – clients will live with a key worker who will focus on the client’s skills and needs
- Support for independent living – when a client moves on from supported housing, this support is offered for up to a year to ensure independent living is maintained
- Crisis intervention – if clients need short term support after leaving us, TLA will step in.
- Work, employment and training – TLA works with other services to ensure that clients can access employment and education
To find out more about OWL: