Turning Lives Around – Our Way Leeds (OWL)
Turning Lives Around has joined forces with GIPSIL and Foundation to launch Our Way Leeds (OWL), a brand new service for the city’s young people at risk of homelessness or who require support.
Aimed at 16-25-year-olds, the team at OWL works to prevent homelessness. We help young people explore job, apprenticeships or education opportunities, deal with stress and anxiety, and encourages them to get involved in areas that interest them, such as sport, music or drama.
TLA’s emergency accommodation project is part of OWL, giving homeless and vulnerable young people emergency access to accommodation. The project has nine emergency bedrooms providing short term accommodation for up to six weeks plus three shorthold tenancies enabling a longer stay.
TLA OWL also provides supported tenancies in the community and floating support to young people living independently in their own homes. This accommodation comes with support from experienced keyworkers tailored to the young person’s strengths and needs.
It aims to enable them to understand the responsibilities and try independent living as well as equipping them to be able to secure and sustain their longer-term tenancy with our continued support if needed.
Working with our OWL partners, we provide advice and support around addressing societal issues such as substance misuse, child sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, mental health or broken families whilst looking to the future, helping clients access education, training or work opportunities.
Turning Lives Around OWL services include,
- Pre-tenancy support: support required for securing a tenancy.
- Supported housing: clients will live with a key worker who will focus on the client’s skills and needs.
- Support for independent living: when a client moves on from supported housing, this support is offered for up to a year to ensure independent living is maintained.
- Crisis Intervention: if clients need short term support after leaving us, TLA will step in.
- Employment and training: TLA works with other services to ensure that clients can access employment and education opportunities.
To find out more about OWL:
Phone: 0113 391 8000